30 October 2012

I am too silent


I am silent. Too silent. Also I lack basic communication skills.

We go to the market in Africa to buy meat to freeze, enough for the next three months, because here it is cheap but on the islands, in the middle of the Atlantic, it can be expensive. Every stall sells, as well as beef and pork and chicken in regular cuts, pre-spiced stew meat in what looks like some sort of curry with mint. The flavour wafts up delicious and exotic. I don’t know what you are supposed to do with it but I am sure, cooked in any fashion and served with rice, it would be heavenly. I desperately want to get some to try. I ask HS. ‘No,’ he answers emphatically. And I don’t push the issue. I just shut up. We buy what he wants to buy. Nothing else. Also later at the grocery store. I am embarrassed by my response. I sulk. For the whole afternoon I am silent.

I want to stay in Ceuta for another day to walk across the border into Morocco to visit the first little village but HS’s plan is to go back to Europe the next day. We are not going to do anything in Europe except wait. He has, apparently, no desire to visit anywhere and I cannot figure out how to broach the subject of staying another day, so I say nothing, and we leave on his schedule, and my little town will never be visited by me, and all because I couldn’t manage to ask. I am way too silent.

Heading back to Gibraltar, it is, in my opinion, a fantastic sailing day. The sun is shining, the sky blue and the sea bluer, the wind blowing a steady 15 to 20  knots… who could ask for anything better? ‘We are too close to the wind,’ HS says, ‘we will have to motor.’ So we do. I sit there in shock. Motor? Really? He had said before that he didn’t like sailing and I hadn’t believed him. I guess it’s true. How could you not choose to sail on a day like today? Also, it would have been a perfect time for me to learn how to start the motor, start the nav computer, do the crossing. It would have been a perfect time for me to learn how to set the sails. It would have been a perfect time for a lot of things. But HS, by habit, did everything, did not even think to include me at all (when he sailed with his wife, he told me, they had clearly defined duties, she did all the cooking and he did all the sailing) and so as we motored I sat, silent, too silent, upset, but not sure, at all, how to appropriately express my disappointment in any of it, and, therefore, silent.

HS kicked his three previous crew off, Bam, Bam, Bam, for the littlest reasons; one wanted to use a hair dryer, the next wouldn’t eat onions, the third didn’t know enough about world politics to be a good conversationalist, and I, so desperate to sail on this, the boat of my dreams, came on board with the mindset that I would be willing to do exactly everything just how he wanted me to do, eat onions and all, in order to be allowed to crew for him… I knew the lay of the land, but, nonetheless, only a few weeks in, I find myself disgruntled. We eat, every single meal, exactly what he wants to eat, every suggestion of mine rejected, and I, so afraid of being voted off the boat if I don’t follow suit, act as if I am not hurt by my total lack of input into any decisions whatsoever including the trivial. I resent all this, by which I mean, mostly, my own behaviours. It is, I know, his boat, his trip, his life. I am the one who asked to be here, I knew the rules ahead of time, but I still resent them. And I deal with this through silence which doesn’t help at all.

I am not aggressive. I am not assertive. I am meek, mild, and submissive which leaves me, unfortunately, feeling weak and cowed. The little things I feel I have no right to complain about are starting to bug me and I am beginning to feel lost. I am getting old and feeling trapped in spaces I have been in too often before. These are lessons I ought to have learnt by now. I wonder how much of it is conditioning I got when I was a kid, ‘Your father – translate  ‘any man’ - is always to be respected’ and how much is just my nature. I wish I were on better terms with my sisters because this is the kind of thing that I would love to discuss with them.

I knew that HS was out of my league, that I would be overpowered by his personality, but I came anyway. I knew, ahead of time, that everything was going to have to be done his way, and I knew that I don’t like it when I get no input, but I came anyway. How can I possibly complain?

 The next day is greyer than ever. Outside it is overcast and raining and inside I am falling apart. HS cooked supper our first day back and then, when I said I’d cook the next day, he said he hadn’t liked anything I had cooked so far and that he would make supper again. So, he will do all the sailing and all the cooking? What will there be left for me to do? It is grey outside, and grey in my heart. I don’t know what he wants from me (he did advertise for crew) and don’t even know how to start asking this question. I don’t know what to do. So I am silent.

Part of the problem, I hope, is that we have been here a month and have not even started sailing yet. I am determined to stick it out at least until we have done our first leg, made it to the Canaries. Nick, our other crew, is due to arrive soon, and hopefully a third person will mix up the dynamics, also, the weather is looking up so we might actually leave. After the first leg I can always jump ship if I really feel that it would be a dismal and unproductive crossing, but I have to stay with the boat until that time. I have to. Hopefully at sea he will develop a watch schedule. If he does, if I feel I am doing something useful, then it might be worth staying. If it is a disaster, if he does almost everything and Nick takes over the rest and I am just totally useless, then, well, then it might make sense not to stay. To quit, however, after a month, yet before even the first full day at sea, seems ridiculous. I vow not to.

Later I lie in bed and listen to the wind howling, the halyards banging against the mast, the water washing the hull. My mind is in turmoil. I love being here. I do. It is just getting along with another person that is so difficult. And, I know, a lot of it is me. And, also, I have to admit, I really did set myself up for this one, going, again, on another person’s vacation where I knew, in advance, that I would have no input. I knew it. And I came anyway. What was I thinking? I, as usual, have put myself into a situation where I have little control, where someone else gets to dictate everything, and I am, as usual, so frustrated that I want to scream. AARGH. I don’t know if I will ever learn. I really really don’t know.

Yet, despite everything, I do like being here.

It is all a mess.