20 October 2012

Postcard from La Linea






1.      What Wikipedia says about Spain: first hominoids 1.2 million years ago; first humans 35 000 years ago; well- developed cultures during Neolithic and Bronze ages; settled and/or invaded and/or conquered and/or taken-over between the 9th century BC and 15th century AD by Phoenicians then Greeks then  Carthaginians then Romans then Germanic tribes then Visigoths then Magyars then Islamic Berbers and Moors then Christians; dominated the oceans, the European battlefield, became one of the largest world empires ever, and had a period of flourishing arts in the 16th and 17th centuries; but things ran downhill from there.

2.      What HS says about Spain: several years ago there were endless cafés on the streets with chairs, tables, umbrellas, and old men gathering and drinking their coffee there in the mornings, workers eating long lunches, and young couples drinking wine and eating tapas in the evening but now, with 50% youth unemployment, families cannot afford to go out for coffee and the cafes cannot afford to stay open and the streets are barren with nary a table to be seen.

3.      What I saw as I walked around: paint peeling from apartment walls, businesses empty or up for rent or sale or bricked up, national flags flying but in tatters, deserted buildings in various states of disrepair, unfinished municipal projects, and empty streets and squares crying out for their former vitality.

Today I decided to do my bit for the economy and went to get my hair cut in Spanish. I could have gone to Gibraltar, where they speak very good English, complete with genuine sounding British accents, but I chose instead to go to La Linea, Spain. ‘Don’t you need an appointment?’ HS asked. ‘Doubt it,’ I replied, ‘the place we pass on the way to the grocery store is always empty.’

I stopped on the way at my favourite bakery and ordered a ‘pain au chocolate’, well, to be honest I ordered ‘one of those’ which, in fact, turned out in fact to have a totally delicious tuna salad filling inside it instead of chocolate, which made it, to me, all the more enjoyable. I like the randomness that lack of common language brings.

The hair salon was open, large, modern looking, had spotlessly clean with gleaming white floors, black chairs and accessories, and teal neon lighting. There were six employees there but no other customers. I asked how much it would cost to get my hair cut and thought the answer was 17 Euros, though feared it might have been 70, and decided to go for it, hope the answer was 17, and enjoy the experience a lot just in case it turned out that I was wrong and the answer was indeed 70. (I hadn’t pre-researched the approximate cost for a haircut.) The place looked very spiffy, which had me a bit worried. The girl who washed and cut my hair was very cheerful, and, as expected, spoke excellent Spanish - and could even do a wee bit of miming as is ‘do you want it trimmed around the ears?’. She asked a lot of questions to which I nodded and smiled in response. At one point we had a conversation in which I thought she said, ‘All done, how is it?’ to which I replied, ‘Perfect, thank you!’ but I must have missed something in the exchange because it led to more snipping. The bill, when it came, was 7 Euros. I also hadn’t pre-researched expected tipping behaviour, but I paid with a 10 Euro bill, didn’t accept any change, and think we were both very happy with the transaction.

Tomorrow I will be in Morocco, which might, just possibly, make this all seem very tame.