09 October 2012

I get to do something usefull



After several days in a row when it seemed there was nothing for me to do we have started rigging. Well, HS has started rigging. But I get to help. I am actually doing something useful. Yes!

 


We are replacing the stays, the wires that run from the deck up to the middle or the top of the mast and hold it steady. There are LOTS of them and on a good day we can replace one or two. I love it. The work goes sort of like this; we undo one of the stays from the deck, I haul HS up to the top of the mast, he undoes it there and I lower it down, I lower him down, we take the fittings off the old wire and put them on the new one, I haul him back up the mast, he attaches it to the top of the mast, I lower him down, and we reattach the bottom to the deck. Easy peasy right? Yes. Usually. Though little problems do occur now and again. Nonetheless, it can take a whole day to do one stay, it can take three days to do one stay, and, although I hear that five o’clock is quitting time, I have never actually seen that happen!

Attached are two photos; one of HS part way up the main mast working on a stay with the mizzen mast in the background (in which my role is not non-existent as I both hauled him up and am also responsible for making sure he doesn't fall and go splat) and one of me and the gib hanging out together in the parking lot (in which I am lying on one corner of the sail to show how big it is). (We had to take the gib off the fore-stay before we could replace it.)

I’ve only been here a week. And except for motoring to Gibraltar (which is less than a mile away) we have not been anywhere yet. But I love it. I really really like living outdoors. It is evening at the moment and I am on deck, the breeze ruffling my hair, a salt tang gentle and unobtrusive, the tap tap tapping of various wires and lines knocking against masts music to my ears, the gulls serenading me… I like that I get up in the morning and can see sky – or heavy mist depending on the day – through the open hatch above me and know that I will spend the day outdoors. I like that I patter along wooden finger docks with fish galore in the water all around as I head, well, anywhere. I like the pace of life on a boat; waking up when you are ready, walking to get fresh baguette for breakfast, working until a job is done, interrupting for a beer when someone stops by... I like that we don’t have schedules, or cell phones, or even reliable internet. I like that the boat owner who is docked beside us commented today on how boat owners are never rich in the traditional sense (because boats, and parts, cost so much) (because they are often too busy sailing to hold down a permanent job) but that they are ‘rich in spirit’. I like that our neighbours along the dock come from many walks of life, speak many different languages, and have many different agendas and itineraries, but always have time to stop and chat, always have time to lend a hand, and always have a smile and a story to share. I like that I was outside all day today and will be outside all day tomorrow. I like that my work involves manual labour and that my hands are grimy by the end of the day and that I am learning both about basic tools and specialized parts and that what gets done gets done and what does not get done is put on the list for tomorrow. I like that I have a small bunk and only the few personal possessions that I carried here in my backpack. I like that the sound of the waves washing against the boat lulls me to sleep at night. I have only been here a week, and, who knows, after we actually start sailing I may decide I hate the life, but, for now, for today, I am happy, rich in spirit if you will. And that is enough.