05 October 2012

The boat sails off without me



It is ALL alien. Using the toilet, getting hot water to do dishes, putting down the drawbridge to get to the dock… even the most mundane of chores are multi-step processes and are different and complicated. I am barely coping and we are still, effectively, on land. What happens when we go to sea and there are a thousand more tasks that I will need to know how to do? I don’t want to think about it.

(Here she is, resplendent in her Canadian colours, docked in Spain. Note Canadian flag flying and rock of Gibraltar in background.)



There are a few things I can do, I few things I might possibly be able to learn to do, and many many things I cannot and likely will not ever be able to do.

But to start my story I have to back up a couple of days…

It was our first day in Spain, The Boat was on the hard. We had an appointment to have her lifted into the water by crane at 6. I had spent several hours on manual labour and HS had done a myriad of complicated jobs. Finally everything seemed ready to go. ‘I’ll just start the engine,’ he said, ‘then we’ll go for lunch’. Oooh. Talk about famous last words. Four long hot hours later the engine had not yet started. HS had spent most of the afternoon down in the bowels of the boat. Every tool known to man and several more besides were spread out on the floor. One loose wire had been found, one new connection had been jury rigged, but the problem, the reason the engine was not starting, had not been diagnosed. I had not been able to help. (And we had not had lunch, which makes no difference to me, but, I am to learn in the coming days, makes HS cranky.)

I pointed out that it was almost six, wondered aloud if we ought to start getting ready to have her put in the water, only got a growl in response, and then, suddenly, several things happened at once; the engine started, the workmen were ready to put the boat in the water, the marina called and insisted on being paid immediately - I guess some boats get in the water and skip off - and, as he rode away out of sight in the small motor boat sent by the office to pick him up, he shouted last minute instructions about closing a sea cock before the boat was lowered into the water so that it didn’t fill and flood. We had both been here all day, and now, two minutes before the big put in, I am on my own. Akkk. I didn’t want this responsibility.

Fifteen minutes later the boat was in the water, it had not flooded, HS was back, the engine was running smoothly, and we were headed to our slip in the marina. 

Then came a couple of docking disasters...

Docking Disaster #1: In which it was a two minute motor to our slip and HS went slowly on purpose so I had time to get the docking lines and fenders set but I messed up and HS had to circle three times in tight quarters with wind and current pushing the boat all over the place and the your-engine-is-overheating-alarm beeping before we made it into the slip. It was a total fiasco and it was all my fault.

Docking Disaster #2:  In which we left the slip and headed off (from Spain) to another marina (in a different country). Well, HS and the boat did. I was left on the dock as it backed out away and was gone. (Hence the title to this entry.) Again, all my fault. I was totally mortified.

Docking Disaster #3:  In which the marina we arrived at required us to dock stern-to and I quipped, ‘Good thing you can sail this boat on your own,’ trying to make light of my previous unfortunate docking experiences and he replied, ‘Actually, getting this boat into a slip stern-to is one place where I really need your help.’ (Oh No!) I get him to explain the technique three times. I don’t want to discuss the result.

In short, I am currently shaken and uncertain, intimidated and overwhelmed. This boat is a LOT bigger than mine, it has a lot more ‘stuff’ by which I mean electronic equipment and dodads and thingamabobs. ‘Why does your mind just shut down when you see technology?’ my son asked me the other day. I didn’t have a response. ‘You’re gonna have to learn not to be like that,’ he said. Yes. So true. Especially here.

I sanded and painted. I cleaned the head and galley (bathroom and kitchen) to within an ounce of their life. I even offered to swab the decks. But I have done just about everything I know how to do. There are a million jobs left and I really can’t even help with any of them. A new fridge motor needs installing, the nav computer needs re-wiring, a touch screen somewhere isn’t working, the list goes on. These I cannot do, cannot even help with. I asked today if I could help by handing tools to HS as he did one of his long list of jobs but, on a boat, there is usually not even really enough room for the one person who is doing the work let alone for another person to get in the way.

I know that we have a new leather wheel cover that needs sewing on. I know that we have new docking lines that need splicing. These seemed to me minor chores but a finicky time consuming ones, ones however I could possibly do, but when I offered I was turned down. HS has bigger problems at the moment, some AIS software (the program that shows, on our chart, where the surrounding boats are) is not working for no reason and he has spent three days troubleshooting it now without success. There are some things he could teach me to do but, for most of them, like putting on a new wheel cover, it would take him longer to show me than just to do them himself, and he is starting to get stressed about getting everything done before he wants to go. Like the engine, which was supposed to start in a couple minutes and took several hours, every job seems to take longer than scheduled.

I would like to be more useful but am out of my depth.

HS had a talk with me today about how, at sea, everyone has to be able to depend on the others for their very lives. I hope he was speaking hypothetically, not for example, referring to my great success at helping him dock. I am not sure, if I were him, if I would keep me on as crew. I am not sure, at the moment, when he actually leaves, if he will take me with him, or, if, instead, the boat will sail off without me.