08 July 2015

Burke's Beach

Drawn Back to Burke's Beach

Wednesday evening was my friend Steve’s retirement dinner so I drove down to Deep in the morning in time to go out for coffee with Rick and co.. In the afternoon I did a few local chores before being drawn back out to Burke’s beach. There I walked out to the point and, as is my habit, further along the shore, as deep into the following bay as the sun allows; I turn around when the bluff approaches close enough to the beach so as to put it into shadow. Back at the point I swam out to the raft and lay in the warm sun, the wood rough against my back, and tried to analyze what it is exactly about this place that I like so much. It was, as usual, almost deserted, just one young family playing further up the beach, but still, even without the comfort of familiar people, I felt totally suffused with peace by the place itself. I like the openness, the way you can see for miles, the plethora of so many elemental features; sun, air, water, sand, and forest, I like the fact that it all seems so clean, natural and pristine, it’s as if mother nature herself has afforded me the privilege to visit her favourite refuge. It was almost completely calm and the surface of the water was a solid dark green colour, a reflection of the hills, and that seemed important somehow, though why exactly escaped me. (I also like it when it’s windy there with dark grey cloud fronts bearing down turning the colour of the water into a fierce navy colour flecked with whitecaps and the wind whipping the surface of the sand so it bites your ankles and erases any footprints.) A family of ducks swam right past the raft, and, as usual, one lone kayaker was paddling off in the distance the flashing of his white paddle blades a silent heartbeat. It is, to me, the most beautiful place in the world. When I am travelling and meet foreigners, frequently Germans, who ask where in Canada I am from and what it’s like there, and often comment in the same breath that the Rockies are spectacular, I tell them that I live close to Algonquin Park, because that’s somewhere that they might have heard of, and try to explain that though the scenery is not as dramatic as out west it has its own lovely gentle wildness that grows on you. In one of my favourite coming of age books there is a scene where the young heroine walks with her boyfriend, who had just that day come out from a nine month stint in jail, along a breakwater. They stop, sit, and don’t even talk, just look out at the sea and drink in the view content merely with the exquisiteness of being alone together for the first time in so long. She says afterwards she can’t explain it, that she just became ‘undone, in the Victorian sense of the word’, and that word, undone, is the best I can do to describe what it’s like for me there. To have so much space, the heady scent of freshwater saturating the air, the gentle silence all around broken by nothing but the occasional sound of lapping waves - I am at a loss to explain the bliss it brings. And I’m always only visiting; I can’t stay there forever, which makes it special too. It wasn’t even a perfect day, a thin layer of high clouds were slowing drifting in from the west, and yet as I lay on the raft with the dark green water spreading out all around the peace and contentment that filled me seemed positively spiritual, and, unfortunately, totally indescribable or explicable… Even when I was there, and thinking about it, I couldn’t find words or logic to express, even in a vague and ambiguous manner, the total serenity of the whole experience, so there is no way I can do so here, trying to write about it, a whole day and a hundred km removed from it all.