20 July 2015

On Hold

July - Once again, On Hold

I have spent most of this month being what I think of as ‘on hold’. (A state that I have spent too much of my life in BTW.) When I am on hold I am not really doing anything, I am just waiting, passing time, fitting my life awkwardly around others’ activities.

I was on hold for whole days sometimes when the kids were little and one had a birthday party or some such to go to in the middle of the afternoon and so the rest of us just frittered away the day without purpose.

I was on hold for a whole week occasionally after Ardre got sick when the kids would be staying with him and I was home alone in endless echoing solitude, but couldn’t go away, or even make plans I wouldn’t be able to break, because I knew that if he got too tired he’d bring them all back at a moment’s notice, so I was left at loose ends, frustrated, filling each day without knowing if it was my last alone or not.

I was on hold for a whole year more than once when I was unemployed but the kids were older, enrolled in school and sports, and it made sense on several different levels to stay around, but I couldn’t find enough to do to with all my hours and so ended up feeling unfulfilled and hence irritated, waiting, always waiting, for their school day to end, for example, so I could ferry them to hockey, but then just waiting again, for that to be over.

I lost a whole decade on hold married to Geoff.

If I were an industrious person, enterprising and entrepreneurial, or even merely social, all this time could easily have been used productively rather than having been wasted. I could have learnt to play the violin, or written academic papers, or started up a home-based business, or even just spent it all congenially with friends and family. But I am not. And so the hours, weeks, and years dragged by slowly and painfully empty.

I remember being very happy with endless time off when the kids were very little and I was on extended maternity leave and my days were filled with looking after babies and toddlers, which I actively enjoyed, and I went to FEN, the community mother and child drop-in center most days, so much so that I ended up making friends, and I belonged to a couple of different groups that met weekly, and I was on good terms with my mother and visited her regularly, and I even had a best friend, also home with small kids, who called me on a daily basis and arranged activities for us all to do together. But as my kids got older and my relationship with my mother disintegrated and my best friend moved out west and most other mothers returned to work (as opposed to me, who chose to return to depression instead) my days got longer and less focussed and everything started to fall apart.

School here finishes at the end of June. I’d been planning to let my lease run out then, pack up all my stuff, put it in storage, and leave, go off on the 1st of July. But my youngest son got a summer job working landscaping just a few miles from here (near Arnprior, what are the chances of that?) and asked if he could stay with me. He’s going into his last year of college next fall, this is the last summer in which any of my children will not be graduated and be, hopefully, working, living their adult lives, the last legitimate time any of my children might want to live with me.

So, of course, I said, ‘Yes.’

But now, for the summer, my vacation is on hold, my life is on hold, I am on hold. I didn’t have to stay here but the coincidence of him wanting to live here along with the sentimentality of it being my last son’s last summer as a kid were just too strong to resist. But I don’t have a plan, a single friend in the area, or enough to do. So days hang long. I cycle a bit, read a bit, work slowly through my pre-departure list, but I also spend a lot of time doing nothing. I could have gone away, for at least part of the summer, but not wanting to miss even an evening of time with my kids holds me here. He works long days, 12 hours of labour in the hot sun, and so when he gets home we swim in the gathering dusk, then eat, then sit and chat for an hour and then it is already time for bed.

I fully intend to get up each morning to see him off but usually he is long gone by the time I pull myself out of bed so I crawl back in and go back to sleep for another couple hours or lie snuggled in the warm cocoon of my covers with a book or even turn on my laptop and watch TV shows one after another. Often it is noon before I get myself bowl of cereal, which I take back to eat in bed, and 3 pm before I finally emerge, shower, and go for my morning coffee and internet check-in at Tim’s.  It is with shame that I admit this. Though I am not unhappy with this dispersion of time, the lassitude of it all seems, if not sinful, then at least unhealthy. I feel compelled to come up with a thumbnail story of what I have done each day lest he ask, and when he is off, gone for a weekend, the release from the need to justify, to anyone, my total inactivity, is actually that, a release.

I am considering abstaining from facebook. I know people tend to post when there are positives in their lives, and not when there aren’t, but the daily barrage of amazing things that my facebook friends are doing contrasts so greatly with the barrenness of my own existence that it worries me. I feel as if, if my son weren’t here, I could die and my desiccated remains wouldn’t be found until my landlady ran out of post-dated rent cheques.

Don’t get me wrong. There have been lots of lovely interludes this summer; a few stolen days at a friend’s cottage including a canoe out on the lake calm and clear enough that we could see huge fish swimming far below, a meal out in Ottawa with both my ex and all of my kids gathered together at a new place that was so much fun my middle son’s fingers were literally wiggling with anticipation as he waited his turn to order off the tablet, a day spent with old friends from Deep cycling near here on a studio art tour, another day off canoeing with my old canoe group exploring the flooded bays and islands above the dam across the lake from my house… my middle son has visited me several times, and I’ve made trips back to Deep to go to friends’ retirement dinners and stopped in to see old friends at the same time, sat and drank coffee with Rick, and tea with Jane, and white wine with Shelley…  I’ve been into Ottawa often to visit my oldest, and I’ve made it to almost every dragon boat practice here in town, and the few hours that I have spent each evening with my youngest have been lovely, and I have, finally, acquired a phone, and have been making up for lost time calling people, and, sometimes, I get long newsy e-mails that make my day…

...but there have also been times when I just let the hours flow by in a very aimless fashion.

I am, without doubt, on hold.

But I am not - which is most worrying of all – at all worried about it.