21 July 2015

The List

AKA The 'Perkins's Tent' List

I am, very slowly, getting ready to go off on vacation again. I have made myself a list of things I have to do before I go. Currently it has 34 items on it. Some of them are simple; find someone to take over the lease of my house, box up all my stuff, find available storage, rent a truck, get help moving my boxes, cancel all my utilities….  Others are a wee bit more complicated.

I try very hard to cross 2 or 3 things off my list every day but it is nonetheless growing longer and longer. I insist it fits on one page (because more than one page would be overwhelming) but the newer items are written in tiny print squished into the margins and the whole thing shares qualities with Perkins's Tent (the one Mr Granger borrowed for the Quidditch World Cup).

Even the jobs I do do (choose and order new prescription glasses) lead only to more items to be put on the list (pick up prescriptions glasses, learn how to use my benefit plan to get money back - a more time consuming process than one might hope I discover as it requires entering information online and then waiting for a password to be mailed back to me by snail mail (really?) before being allowed to access the system – and, since my chosen glasses cost more than my benefits allow, I also have to find and fill out appropriate paperwork so my ex can apply for the excess cost from his plan, and, of course, encourage him to do so…). Some jobs, obviously, like getting new glasses, I could have done months ago but didn’t.

Getting a new passport is another job I could have done months ago but didn’t. The passport office opens each weekday at 7:30 am. On Friday, the last day of school, I download, print out, and fill in an application form. Over the weekend I go to Walmart to get photos taken (two Walmart’s to be precise, in very different geographic directions from Arnprior, as the first one, who would have guessed, didn’t do passport photos.) Monday morning, the first day of summer holidays, at 7:15 am, I am in Ottawa lined up outside the passport office with my photos and double-checked paperwork clutched in my hand, though, I quickly realize, the first day of summer holidays might not be the most well thought out day of the year to choose to stand in this particular line.

I go to Deep River to check on the boxes I have in storage there and see a motor boat that would be perfect for one of my kids. Out comes my list: check out boat, learn whether our marina slip is big enough, find out how much boat insurance is... and, oh yes, thinking of insurance, I have to make sure my car insurance is pre-paid before I go, and I have to find out about and buy travel insurance, and make sure that someone knows where my will is, and write a letter to my Mum…

I stop in for coffee with Rick and Terry. "Put that on your list, they joke, 'Coffee with Rick and Terry.'" and I do. And it reminds me of all the other things that are not on my list, the most important things of all actually; share a glass of wine with Shelley, have a swim with Suzanne at her cottage, go to Steve's retirement dinner, call Sheila... 

Some items on my list are genuine chores. Others are a total joy. Like shopping for new sailing clothes. I remember in the fall buying a new outfit or two for school and wanting, desperately, at that time, to be buying sailing clothes instead. It seems only a few heart beats ago, but, somehow, now, already, I get to buy sailing clothes. I pick them up super-cheap second-hand at Value Village and think of them as disposable. I don’t want anything that I am too attached to so that if they get covered in red paint (see Northern Magic) or left on a tiny island (see Hao) I don’t mind too much. Also, I want to travel as light as possible so that if I jump ship (see Sydkorset) or disaster strikes (see Picton Castle) I can walk away carrying all my belongings easily on my back. But, since I am going to be wearing the same clothes day after day after day, I also want things I like. So - a few choice items. I cruise the aisles, for when I am cruising the isles, feeling like a kid in a candy store picking out one warm polar fleece, two quick dry t-shirts, one lightweight dress and I have trouble not doing a happy dance as I make my way to the checkout line.  (Yes. Yes! YES! I’m going to get to go sailing again! YES!!)

As I’m waiting to pay I remember that I have to check that my debit card isn’t going to expire, and alert my credit card company to the fact that I’m going to be abroad, and download that facebook app my kids were telling me about onto my new phone - the new phone that I haven’t chosen or bought yet… and I pull out my list and scribble these new thoughts down.

Unfortunately, despite my definite shopping success, I can’t even cross ‘buy sailing clothes’ off of my list yet because I still need a new bra, so, as usual, it’s longer than before.

But I’m going to get to go sailing! Yeah! Hip Hip Hooray!

Assuming, of course, that I can get through this list.

I should be able to. It's down to 48 items now.