18 April 2014

The wrong foot

Starting out with the wrong foot first AKA At odds - already - with Lisa AKA Be a Duck...

The details don’t matter. They are petty. But the bottom line is that Lisa, the other crew, and I do not currently get along. She rubs me the wrong way and I bristle. She tries to bully me and it gets my back up. I don’t give in to her but I don’t like the situation. It’s not comfortable. I am always waiting for her next criticism, biting my tongue to resist responding, and then walking around trying to hide my irritation.  I have pretty much committed to Sven to staying on the boat for four months but, at present, I can’t see that it would be enjoyable. I like Sven. I respect him. A lot. His boat is fantastic and I am sure he is an excellent sailor. He is going exotic places. But I just can’t stand Lisa and don’t know if I want to spend four months in close confinement with her. Life seems so short at the moment that I don’t want to waste it waiting on edge for a trivial and uncalled for comment to come out of nowhere and slap me in the face, gritting my teeth, grinning and bearing it. Tuesday I snapped at her. Wednesday, after being reprimanded literally 3 seconds after I got up, I called a boat meeting, stated that I found the situation unpleasant, and suggested a solution. Sven backed me up both in public and in private. But Lisa continues on her merry way. She can’t help it. It is how she is. I want to be happy. I want to spend my time in a congenial atmosphere. And I don’t know if I can fix the dynamics here or if they are doomed. So Thursday I write her an e-mail (and store it as a draft). I fear it would only make the situation worse but it expresses my opinion clearly. I hope I have the strength not to send it.

Lisa,
I meant what I said yesterday. I actively resent continuous petty criticisms. I am not perfect, I am far from perfect, I will never be perfect. I will make many mistakes every day, but, oddly, I do not wish to have them all pointed out to me as the day goes along. Obviously if something is immediately important, please tell me, if, for example, I am washing potatoes in the ‘poo pot’, or if something is leaking, or if a sail needs adjusting, let me know right away and I will correct it at once. But the little things I do wrong, like misplacing the ginger in the spice cabinet… please, simply write down any of my errors you feel compelled to share and give me a list once a day for me to read at my leisure, because, frankly, I do not want to feel constantly bombarded with an accounting of my failings.
Thank you,
Emily.



I am sure much of it is my fault. I know how prickly I am, how difficult to get along with… but… 

Currently I am tempted to take my backpack out and pack it up, slowly head north, over land, rather than going west, over the water…



Then something amazing happens; Lisa gives Sven a small packet of gummy bears for Easter. “DON’T eat them all at once,” she commands, “and DON’T put them in your pocket.” I hear her, think that she sounds downright nasty, as usual, and yet somehow manage to interpret that what she means is, ‘I got you these as a token of my love, Sven, even though I know you are on a very strict diet.’ I am also very aware that if the exact same comments were directed at me I would hear only the bossiness of her tone and implied criticism of her words and not notice, at all, any kind intent behind them.


I talk to Ben, my oldest son and best sounding board, about the situation and he makes a couple of salient comments. He says he would put a low probability on Lisa’s manner changing, that my best tactic is to be a duck and let her words run like water off my back. He also says that he hopes, if I do go on this trip, that my experiences on the boat will be defined and dominated by grander things. I like it, do a 180 turn in my thinking, and decide that I will, afterall, go sailing with Dana, that every time Lisa snaps at me I will remember the gummy bear incident and that my mantra will be, “Be a duck and let grander things dominate.”