24 April 2014

Off to Sea!


The three of us just before we go with Dana in the background...
...not my dream photo but sometimes you have to take what you can get!


The past two weeks have flown by readying Dana to go to sea. I’d sort of hoped to have a day or two to head into town by myself, poke around, get my haircut and buy a new outfit or two, but we have been more or less continuously busy and there has been no time. It has been interesting though, as each day has been different. I spent one whole day helping Sven troubleshoot a software upgrade glitch in the satellite GPS navigation system and another one helping him empty, clean, and re-pack the various lockers on board the boat. I was sent off shopping one day with a list, which I followed, and bought $1000 worth of groceries, enough basics to do for several months, and then watched, amazed, as Lisa managed to pack all of them into the tiny cupboards aboard. One day I swabbed the decks and then cleaned and polished the stainless steel stanchions and lifelines eradicating any rust spots along the way, Lisa cleaned the galley, and Sven put a new set of gaskets in the water maker. The list of chores, which initially seemed endless, has been almost gotten through, and tomorrow, at noon, because there is a good weather window and the tides are favourable, we are leaving dock and heading west out into the Pacific. Eeek. I’d hoped to have a pic of the three of us waving goodbye, but, if you were to hear the list of chores still left to do you’d know that it is not going to happen! We have to get cooking gas, deflate and tie up the dingy, buy 50 pounds each of potatoes and onions, do a last load of laundry and hang it up to dry, go to the Armada to sign out of mainland Chile, clean some filters, fill up on water, both the main tanks and some extra jugs, and then coil the water hose and put it away, get gasoline for the dingy motor and diesel for the main engine, clean the fenders, do a last vacuum inside, put everything away, run the gib lines back and through pulleys, and, Sven, of course, has more stuff to do that I can’t remember! I see my hope of getting a good bye photo - in my mind we were all going to pose on the stern of the boat in our foul weather gear - let alone posting it, is doomed…  Overall however, despite being busy, not much of note has really happened lately. Hopefully our first leg will be fantastic and I will have a photo or two to show off at the other end.