01 March 2014

Fish Market

Shopping with Lisa AKA The Fish Market

Sea urchin shuckers

Crabs

Tasty raw fish snacks

Egg lady and her husband

































Lisa, the other crew, who has been with Sven and Dana for two years, is a Canadian woman. She was, however, born and brought up in Hong Kong. On Friday Sven hands over a long and specific list and sends the two of us off shopping together. As we enter the grocery store I pull out the list but Lisa, her Asian side appearing for the first time, and her accent suddenly more pronounced, declares that she never follows the list, she just buys what looks good. ‘What he know?’ she adds, ‘He never cook.’ As we wander round I feel more and more like her kid. ‘Feel the onions,’ I am told, ‘get rock hard ones. Choose long skinny avocados, they have smaller pits. Only take apples with stems on.’ We fill our cart with as much as we think we can carry and then lug our backpacks and grocery bags with us onto the bus and to the marina. ‘Pumpkin seeds,’ the list said, ‘tomatoes…’ instead we have bananas and blueberries, vinegar and wine. I hope I will be able to find something amongst all this to cook for supper! The next day we are sent shopping together again, this time to the fish market. Here I am totally out of my depth. Lisa pokes and prods the various fish, asks the sellers pointed questions, barters the prices down. I tag along behind taking photos of the egg man and his wife. She chooses smoked salmon, and large shrimps with the shells on, a chunk of real pork that will need deboning, and something else, a skinny silver fish so fresh it is almost still alive. ‘You want to cook that one for lunch?’ she asks, but I tactfully manage to suggest that she does, that I will do supper again instead, and so she supervises the gutting of the fish and we head home grocery bags full once again, and she does cook it for lunch, with ginger and green onion and it is delicious. Totally intimidated I decide I can’t compete so I won’t even try. I make garlic and mushroom fettuccini for supper, with a side salad, and home-made fresh bread, and it is, if I say so myself, though not as wonderful as the fish was, quite good too.