20 March 2014

Torres - the photo essay


Andre always wanted to drive to South America. I didn't get it. Why not sail, I thought, wind is cheaper than gas. 

Geoff always talked about hiking. I didn't get it. Why not canoe, I thought, and have the water carry your gear. 

Now I get it. 





Even from the bus window we could tell that we were going to a special place.


I carried all my stuff with me: tent, sleeping bag, dry clothes, and food...

... and took selfies each time I stopped for breakfast on the trail.

Most paths went through forests...


... with some bridges....

and some ladders.
... with glaciers peeking through the crevices...
... and hills peeking through the trees.
The path was marked by inuksuks...

... and went past waterfalls.

I took close ups of glaciers,

the rocks at the bottom of the Torres,

of the flora, 

and the fauna.
And at the end of each day I flung my arms wide and was just happy to be here.



NB Other blog entries at: www.whitecloudsflying.blogspot.com