23 March 2014

King Penguins

AKA  The Nosy Penguins and The Bossy Penguin Lady


I took a day trip to see the wild king penguin colony on Tierra del Fugeo. It’s a privately owned place, like the meteor crater in Arizona, not a park. Some king penquins decided to set up a new colony – no one knows why – and the owners of the land saw it as a good opportunity to make a buck or two. The day I was there it was being manned by a very bossy penguin lady who must have told us at least 15 times that we were not allowed to cross the line of rocks, that we were not allowed to approach the penguins, that they were wild, etc, etc… I am sure you know just what kind of person I am referring to. However, officious and overbearing as she was, the penguins paid her no heed. Since we weren't allowed to go and see them they came to see us. I am sure she was infuriated but the kids, photographers, other tourists, and I, were all thrilled.





The flamingos, on the other hand, didn’t even bother to wake up to say hi.


Yup – just another awesome day in paradise!