28 February 2014

Dana at dock


Dana at Dock AKA My training begins – a posting with too many superlatives.


This is a photo of Dana at sea... we are still at dock, so her sails are not up, but she is just as beautiful!

If I were just a wee bit more superstitious I wouldn’t put this post up but, but, but… I really am here, living on this boat, and I am so very much in awe that I just have to. If I mess things up, if I get kicked off after my training week, well, I do. You can read about it later.

Wow!

Wednesday I met with Sven and was accepted as crew onboard his amazing boat, Dana.

Wow! Just wow!

Talk about being in the right place at the right time. This boat is beyond fantastic and Sven could have his pick of any crew at all in the world. I just happened to be in Puerto Montt, of all places, when he was passing through and managed to ask to chat with him with exactly the right mix of assertiveness and humility. I am honoured, and awed, and grateful, and disbelieving, that I have the fortune to be here.

As soon as I was given the opportunity, lickety-split, faster than light, moving on air, I moved from the hostel I was staying at to Dana.

I am overwhelmed. I am afraid that I will be out of my depth. I am worried that I may not rise to the challenge.

I feel terrible about potentially deserting my kids, going off, out of e-mail range even, for weeks at a time, but, at the same time, I am determined to do my very very best to pass my training week here and succeed in being taken on as semi-permanent crew. It is, undoubtedly, the chance of a lifetime for me.

I will be here on the boat for a week, now, on dock, helping out with odd chores, and then for a month, while Sven goes home, I´ll go south to do some hiking, and then we will (hopefully, my fingers are crossed so hard they are almost bleeding) meet back here again in early April and set sail. That is the plan.

Lisa, the other crew, will, I think, help me out, and Sven is intimidating, but, I am pretty sure, a great leader. It will all be good. It will all be fantastic!

‘No boat comes perfect so find a boat and make it perfect.’ This is a piece of advice given by one of the other captains I had considered crewing for. I like it. I think I can do that here. I think, if I am careful, I can make this boat perfect. (For me.) It is an amazing boat; large, clean, comfortable, open, and very well equipped. It was hand designed by Sven purposefully for long distance cruising. It is his ‘adventure platform’ and comes will all the bells and whistles. And the itinerary is a dream for most people (including me). It comes with another woman on board (which is a plus). The common language is English (also good). There will be little responsibility yet awesome sailing. All I have to do is learn to cook, and, I think using the onboard 1000 Classic Recipes and and Fred’s dictum, ‘If you can read you can cook.’ I ought to be able to manage to do that. (I was upfront and admitted that I am not a good cook but was accepted almost instantly anyway.) This boat is spotless, beautiful, comfortable, well-organized, well-run… The captain has lots of money and spares none of it. The other crew is very sympathetic. My plan is to start out very permissive, to be a pleaser, to do whatever I can to make the situation work. This same plan has, I know, failed me in past, but I don’t see how I can do otherwise. It is both the nature of the beast - being a guest in someone else’s expensive and amazing home – and my nature. I just have to make sure that it doesn’t come back to bite me in the tail. I don’t think, here, however, that that will be a problem. I think here the captain is strong enough and sane enough, intelligent and well-balanced enough, that it will work, that he will make it work. He wants, obviously, his life on this boat to be congenial, and if his crew are happy and hard-working this makes it a more positive environment for them, and by extension for him, and, by all appearances, he is the sort of leader who will successfully troubleshoot problems and come up with effective solutions, not only on how to fix physical problems on the boat but also on how to deal with any ‘personnel’ problems. We will see.

I am sitting in the pilot house now, sipping a pre-supper glass of red wine, listening to classical music on a top notch sound system, while in the galley below the soup I have made simmers away.

I am overwhelmed but optimistic.

Wow!

And, even if this is the only week I get on Dana, this week at dock, even then I will be happy to have been here.