24 February 2014

Me, like Mary

Me, like Mary AKA Mount Osorno

Me, like Mary


To get to Mount Osorno, the tourist information person tells me, by which he means the ski resort 15 km up a steep switch-backy road (el. 1230 m), there are only two choices; you can rent a car (expensive) or you can take a tour (also expensive). The local bus doesn’t run there. I choose instead to take the bus to the junction and then hitch hike up the hill. A jeep with three rangers picks me up almost immediately and deposits me right at the top of the road then turns around and heads back down. The place is deserted. It’s sort of spooky. Not a person or vehicle in sight. (How will I get back down at the end of the day?) Undaunted - well maybe a little daunted - I head off on the obvious path that winds up and around the side of the volcano. I feel like the boy in 127 hours. No one knows I am here. The vista is amazing. The path is loose gravelly scree, tricky to walk on. If I slip and fall of the edge of the hill my body may or may not ever be found. It is windy out. I hike for about an hour, up past a little side crater, and come to a bench at a lookout spot. (Yes. Civilization still exists.) All of a sudden I am like Mary of Santiago. I am at the top of the world. All around me is space. It is an almost clear day and I can see a range of hills that are maybe 10 km away and, in the other direction across the lake, Puerto Montt, where I am staying, 50 km as the crow flies, and, I can imagine, though it is a bit hazy, the island of Chiloe beyond that that is twice as far away again. It is hot here and windy. The air smells of melting snow, a familiar smell in this alien environment. I stand on the bench, face to the sun, arms extended. Here, with space all around me, and time once again suspended, I feel Mary’s peace. I want to bottle it up somehow and store it for later, like plums, so I take a photo of myself. I assume that I look a bit hot in the photo and a bit disheveled and a bit disconcerted but that is all a ruse. I am actually glowing, beaming, exuding joy. It is wonderful. I wish only that I could somehow do justice to the openness of this place. 

After that I hike a bit further and go round a corner to find that I am at the top of the first chair lift, the bottom of the second one. The place has come alive. A young guide is getting a zip-line ready for the day and a crew is working on a long winding wooden mountain bike boardwalk and both chair lifts are running. I take the second chair lift up (to el. 1670 m) and then hike with a British couple even further (to el. 2000 m) and we share their nuts and my water and I am looking way way down to where I was, at the top of the world, a few hours ago!

My well defined path...
Note hikers silhouetted against snow. 


The whole ski resort, closed now of course because it is late summer, is above the tree line. No glade skiing here. The variety in rocks is amazing though. On a beach you expect to have a range of different rocks because they have likely been washed downstream from different locations hundreds of miles apart, but here, on this volcano, all the rocks have certainly been ejected from the same hole in the recent past. Yet there are samples of pumice, banded tuff, porphyritic rhyolite, vesicular basalt, and more. (Sorry, I don’t get to use my undergrad vocabulary often.) Alien, but amazing.  




On the way home I stop to see some waterfalls, help a French woman fix her camera, and then meet her again in the evening at 'my' hostel. Tomorrow we are going out to lunch together. Yes. It is all good.