08 July 2014

Neverneverland

Neverneverland I   AKA   Maupiti

As the plane descends towards Maupiti I am almost too enthralled to remember to take a photo through the window. Below me is a place so amazing that I know it can’t be real. Here, in the middle of the blue ocean is a skinny reef protecting a large almost continuous motu, an impossibly turquoise lagoon, and a conical rugged green island. It looks like the set for a movie. If anyone were to show me a picture of it I’d recognize at once as a fake. The colours, everything about it - just not possible. Then I get it, this is Neverneverland.

Last minute photo from plane window taken almost as an afterthought.


I am met at the airport by Audine, proprietor of a lodge, have a garland of fragrant flowers put around my neck, and am whisked away by skiff to the motu where she lives and I will be staying. My hut is on the beach and my bedroom window looks out over the lagoon, the reef, and the open ocean. If I peer hard enough I can even see the next island over. (It too is too bizarre to be true.) Supper that night, family style at one long table, is an out of this world Chinese Polynesian American mix with amazing food from start to finish.

In the morning I walk across the motu and paddle a kayak five minutes out to a specified buoy. There I tie up the kayak and drop into the warm waters of the lagoon just above a cleaning station where the world’s largest rays come every morning. Within a minute an impossibly large creature flies gracefully in and then hovers as pilot fish eat the bacteria off its skin. I float for ages, mesmerized, as one ray after another comes to be cleaned.

NOT my best picture of the rays but the one that best shows their size. 


That afternoon I swim in the ‘gin clear’ water on the other side of the motu over coral full of weird clams with purple, blue, and green ‘lips’, and, of course, fish galore, I learn to paddle an outrigger canoe, I walk around the motu, and, though I hate to admit it even to myself, I realize that perhaps Sven was right, even if for the wrong reasons, and it was time for me to go; I am much happier off the boat, independent and able to shamelessly spend my time exploring, than I was on it.

Clam. 

Fish.











Following days I climb to Pan’s lookout (as I call it) at the top of the island, I cycle all the way round the bottom stopping to visit everything on the way; an art gallery, a site with ancient petroglyphs, a tiny store, an immense white sand beach, I go back to see the rays again… And, as usual, one day blends gracefully into the next until I have lost count. Audine and her husband Alain are the perfect hosts. I feel embraced by their hospitality, welcome in their home. When Alain wanders down the beach to visit the neighbours he takes me with him and we sit and chat and drink rum punches and watch the sunset and I want to stay forever. 

The view from Pan's lookout!


Amazing sky one morning...
... and another morning.
















































I want to stay forever.