17 July 2014

Neverneverland IV

Neverneverland part IV – Bora Bora and the Bungalows


Bora Bora, everyone said, is horrible; too built up, too touristic, not worth going to. What? Who are these people? Bora Bora is amazing! So, yes, along with the fantastic reef and marvellous motu and stunning lagoon and lush forested interior it also has excellent hotels and a range of restaurants and a few fantastic boutiques, but, I, personally, don’t necessarily see this as a downfall. You don’t, after all, have to stay in the hotels if you don’t want to.

I, for example, didn’t. Though would have liked to. The island’s hotels’ iconic over-the-water bungalows are enchanting. I’d booked into the only hostel, of course, which was a bit rustic and ‘campy’, and, I’m a wee bit embarrassed to admit, I was the only one in my 19-bed dorm, so I didn’t even have any company, which to me is a large part of the appeal of a hostel, and, also, despite having a lovely dock, 4 boats, and 6 showers all to myself, I felt sort of like, no exactly like, the cheapest person on the whole island. I even looked into moving to somewhere over-the-water for my last couple of nights but my waterfront hostel cost $20/night (breakfast included) and the cheapest available over-the-water place - and I am absolutely awesome at finding last minute deals - was $600/night (no meals) and the difference just seemed too huge to contemplate. There is a mid-range option with many B&B’s at about $100 - $200 per night but many of these are tucked away in odd locations and so in the end I just stayed in the hostel despite the fact that it is the first place I have slept that does not make the come-back-to-right-here list.

My very basic, somewhat campy, lonely, 19 bed bunkhouse.

I went to take a pic of the cheapest available over the water bungalows - note lovely colours of lagoon and sky -
and was totally spooked because a ray (blown splotch in foreground) came to check out what I was doing!

Besides, the whole island was there to explore and who stays indoors in Bora Bora? I swam in the lagoon, walked the beaches, hiked the (easy) paths through the hills, went out one traditional dance show in a big hotel and another in the town square, meandered through the pearl market, poked my head into the boutiques, snacked at road-side stalls and beach-front bars, and, basically, loved it.


Yes, Bora Bora is a bit more built up than some of the other islands, but man, it’s awesome!