25 November 2012

Morning walk in Mindelo


A short history lesson on the Cape Verde Islands according to our guidebook: These islands, off the west coast of Africa, were uninhabited when discovered in the late 1400’s by the Portuguese and largely unpopulated until the 1800’s. They did OK for a while as a way point for the slavery trade, but then that was abolished, then as a way point for whaling, also abolished, then as a coal bunkering stop, but then ships stopped using coal… now there is a bit of agriculture that goes on, bananas and such, and the government is considering getting into the tourist industry, but the main source of income is currently foreign aid and this is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future.

Sunday morning I wake up early and decide to go for a walk while it is still cool out. I have my camera and my laptop in my backpack, $5 and my marina key in my pocket. As I walk the streets of the town I believe the guidebook comment about foreign aid, this is undoubtedly a third world country. I remember Kirkland Lake when I lived there, several decades after the last mine had closed down, when the city started bulldozing the many abandoned houses scattered throughout the town believing that empty lots were less likely to shelter criminal activity than empty buildings. I had thought that was a poor community. Here, in a city of 60,000, the poverty hangs thick in the air. Buildings are falling down, rubble piles everywhere, collections of garbage and unemployed young men littering the streets, sad small scruffy dogs lying about devoid of hope.

I wonder, as I walk, how safe I am, here, on my own, in this city. At first I cannot bear to take out my camera, it seems rude to take pictures of old women sitting forlornly on street corners trying to sell mangoes, old men lying on park benches… the only decent clothing worn I see is by those in work uniforms. I decide to head up one of the hills to get a view of the city from above. The cobble stone streets become dirt roads as I go upwards and then uneven rocky paths wide enough for one to walk switch-backing back and forth between cinderblock houses with corrugated iron roofs. Down in the city proper were occasional apartments I could imagine living in but up higher there are only huts, hovels, and shacks. I cannot imagine anyone living in these but the voices from within and the laundry hanging outside demonstrate their occupation. Again I wonder about my safety. I have pulled out my camera, red and shiny, which cost me less than a day’s pay, but I wonder how many days pay it would be worth to those who live there. Certainly it would be worth stealing. Murdering for? I have no idea. I nod and smile to everyone I see. The men nod back. I offer to shake hands whenever possible (and vow to wash my hands well when I get back to the boat). The most common comment made to me, in French, mostly by younger men who have tried Spanish first and realized I speak none, is ‘Ca Va?’, it sounds a question and I take it to mean ‘Are you OK?’ which seems reassuring. The women are less forthcoming.

At last I get my break. I am taking a photo of a rooster on one of the dirt paths that serve as roads when a young boy walks by. I ask – in sign language – if I can take his picture. He says no. I ask again. Still no. Then a girl comes over and allows me to take her photo. Both of them love to see it. Before long there are four kids chattering away in Spanish. I show the oldest boy how to use my camera and he takes endless pictures of the others, of anyone else who walks by, of the view from the corner. I wonder if they have e-mail, if I can send them copies, but I doubt they have running water, and without a common language there is no way to ask. (The little girl in the photo lives in the middle one of the three houses seen in the background of the same picture.) After half an hour I leave but as I walk back downhill I take a photo record of my winding path so that if I can get prints made for the kids I can find my way back to deliver them.



I realize as I approach the marina, walking past a grown man urinating on the main street, that it is a gated community. It has a long visible cement approach, like a pier sticking out over the water so that no one can sneak up to it, a tall fence complete with locked door, and 24 hour armed guard. The marina garbage bins are near the road in another locked fenced area with rolls of barb wire on the top of the fence. As I pass by two teens hoist a third one up and over the top and he starts methodically going through the bags of trash. I assume he is looking for broken things we the ‘yatchies’ have thrown out that he can fix and sell. I hope he is not looking for food. The only thing I have bought here so far is freshly baked bread from the nearest grocery store (a hot fragrant loaf is 15 cents). Just before I set foot on the marina pier a young man stops me and very politely asks if I will look at his art work. It is gaudy sand art that I cannot imagine anyone wanting. He is 29, very black, and has come here from Sudan looking for work. Come here? How bad is it where he has come from? He asks if he can come on our boat to Canada. I say we are going to Brazil. He would be just as happy with that. Unfortunately, for him, my answer is still no. As I part from him and head across the cement walkway to the safety and security of “my” world I think how lucky I was to be born in Canada, how seldom I take the time to stop and be truly grateful for this, how very fortunate I am to be able to afford to go off on this vacation, and how very very trivial all my problems are compared to those of almost everyone else in the world. Happy, schnappy. Voice, schmoice. What the f*** am I complaining about?  I have enough money to be here, three grown educated healthy kids to carry on my genes, a government that will, one way or another, pay for basic health care when I get old. I have everything anyone could possibly want. Everything. EVERYTHING