24 November 2012

Land HO!



Our motor broke down somewhere along the way and so we sail all the way to Mindelo, Cape Verde Islands. I love it. We are, literally, at the whim of the wind and the waves. An egret, looking as bereft as we feel, lands on our boat and stays for hours. I feel a connection to Columbus. His boats, even more so than ours, were not good at going into the wind, and so he could effectively only go where the wind would push him. He traveled across the ocean with winds pushing him west and to come back he had to find a different latitude where the winds blew in the other direction.  As we get closer to our destination we watch the time, the wind, and our speed more and more carefully. We want to arrive in port during daylight. Boats, for hundreds of years, arrived in port under sail and dropped anchor. But this is more and more a lost art. As we get close we take our main sail down leaving just the jib up. Land HO! HS and I study the harbour chart in great detail. We stress and plan. He explains more than once what my responsibilities will be. There are likely to be lots of boats in the harbour, winds will be light and fluky due to the protection offered by the breakwaters and the island itself, he doesn’t want us to lose control, drift into another boat and damage it, or worse. In the end the wind is favourable and we sail into the harbour, past anchored oil tankers, ferries and fishing boats heading out to sea, and a little island that looks like Rapunzel lives there, we sail right up to where other boats are anchored, and, just as we had planned, with beauty and perfection like a pair of ballerinas, simultaneously drop anchor and sail, as if we did this all the time, and then sit there like a pair of idiots grinning from ear to ear, very pleased with ourselves.

Later, of course, HS has the boat towed to the marina. He is going to try and fix the transmission and wants to be on a dock, with power, to do this, rather than out at the far end of the anchorage. I am happier, of course, on a dock because of the greater freedom it gives me. At anchor I have to get him to take me into land with the dingy, or hitchhike with another sailor going by in theirs, but on dock I can come and go at my will. He thinks it might take a week to fix the motor, and, fortunately, this is not really something I can help him with, so I will be free to be a tourist, go out and about and see whatever there is to see. Cape Verde, here I come!