19 October 2015

Greek Isle #1

Santorini - Super!


(Kos doesn't count on my list of Greek Isles because my decision to go was rushed and full of mistakes and my decision to leave was rushed and full of mistakes and I was barely there inbetween.)


(I was a bit worried that I might have trouble being a tourist elsewhere having not stayed to volunteer on Kos... HA! That was a silly thought.)


So, to start with a summary: Santorini was super.


(I'm a little afraid that I accidently chose the best island to see first.)








Santorini is interesting geologically: it's a crescent shaped volcanic rim, distinctive layers of black, red, and white volcanic rock cut with dykes, with a collapsed caldera in the middle and a very young new volcano, complete with hot springs and active sulphuric vents, in the middle of that.


A somewhat busy photo but if you look closely you can see new flattish volcano in the middle and imagine the old island like a big crescent around it.

60,000 year old olive leaves preserved in old volcanic flow.


It's interesting mythologically: there was a huge explosive eruption here 3600 years ago and it's the best possible candidate for the lost land of Atlantis.


It's interesting archaeologically: a city, complete with three story buildings, hot and cold running water systems, and evidence of extensive trading networks, has been unearthed from beneath 60 meter deep lava flows that accompanied the above mentioned eruption.


Detail from excavation of 3600 year old town.

Detail of fresco from wall of above house.



It's interesting visually: the predominantly white villages clinging to the top of the dark cliffs look for all world like snow.





It's a cruise ship destination and so comes with lots of lovely boutiques and restaurants.


Its rich volcanic soil and arid conditions are perfect for producing wine.


It also has its own brewery.


And, most importantly, coincidently, luckily, I happened to be there at the same time, and meet, several other wonderful people and so there was always someone else congenial to do things with.


The best of the best - drinking sweet wine made from sun dried grapes with the warm and welcoming Jean Marc and Nadine.



I knew it would be my kind of place when I read that the top rated activity on tripadvisor was to walk -  free - 10 km along the cliff top from Fira to Oia marveling at the view all the way.


So, despite any misgivings I might have had before I arrived, I slipped easily into tourist mode and totally enjoyed myself: I walked the cliff top walk, went to the volcano and hot springs, visited the excavation site and accompanying museum, toured wineries, walked through art studios, snorkeled at beaches, snacked at bakeries, and chatted endlessly with the other people I'd met.


Yup. Santorini was super.