14 October 2014

Art Teacher - Take 1

AKA   Impostor   AKA   If my day isn't fun all I do is look in the mirror to know who to blame
  


I am the Art Teacher at ADHS (is there some way to make sure that no one in Arnprior can access this?) which is, still, a bit of a joke. 

I did take an online "How to Teach Art" course. I even had to do a major demonstration project to go along with it in which I created a large original artwork, photographed all stages of the process, and wrote both a formal unit plan and a critical analysis. For this I opened the Curriculum Guidelines and found on page one (grade one) 'make a paper-mache animal'. I thought I could probably do that so chose it as my project. It was unexpectedly tricky. It took many many evenings to complete. Emily, my roommate, and I almost peed ourselves laughing, more than once, at my pathetic attempts to get the limbs to stay in the right orientation. I got a great mark though, I have to say. For two reasons. First I am very good at writing unit plans so I had a great unit plan, and, in my analysis I went on at great length about how challenging this project had been, how long it had taken me, how I couldn't imagine a grade one class actually doing it - but, that, given that there were paper-mache animals all round my house that my own kids had made in grade one, I knew that teachers really did do this with their classes. I was being dead serious but I think my prof thought I was being clever, writing tongue in cheek or some such. Secondly, my prof pointed out that many elementary teachers make the error of making demo projects that are too perfect for kids to emulate whereas my paper-mache really looked like something that someone in grade one could do! Go me! And this, this project, somehow qualifies me to teach grade twelve art! Someone in the government ought to look into that.

So, now, the joke's on me. I took the course, did a grade one project, and am now teaching Art grade nine, ten, eleven, and twelve!

When I was offered this job I did point out to my principal exactly how good I was at art to which he replied, "Oh my!" But he still took me on in this role. 

So here I am, in this classroom, doing my best. On the advice of a retired art teacher I downloaded and printed out the Ontario Curriculum Course Guidelines from the internet, and, frankly, almost cried. They were SO full of jargon that I really literally had no idea at all what they were trying to say. So instead of following them I do the best I can. My modus operandi goes sort of like this: I go on pintrest and find a project under any high school art site that looks both fun and interesting and comes with clear instructions and good examples, I repackage the information in kid-friendly language, make up a rubric, and present it to my classes. I give them a relevant chapter out of their textbooks to read so that they are getting a bit of theory, this takes about a day, and then I make up some introductory exercises to go along with the project I have chosen, this takes another three or four days, and then they start the project, which usually takes a week or longer. (Who knew art took so long to do?) During this time I wander the class offering my lowly opinion on how they are doing - mostly compliments with just a few constructive criticism questions thrown in (That looks like a busy background to me. What do you think? Do you think it might be more effective if you used your artist's discretion to simplify it so that the main subject gets more emphasis? I'm just asking, you are the artist. What do you think?) I throw in a bit of the Creative Process and the Critical Analysis Process and off we go. If I have chosen an appropriate project the kids a) enjoy it b) work hard at it c) stay on task and d) produce great results so I have little to do. Then, after ten days or so they hand in their work, I mark it, hand it back, and the process starts all over! I think if I knew more it would be a harder job, but, seeing as I don't know more, it is, at least for now, easy peasy. 

Part of me worries that eventually I will be 'found out' but, well, I'll just have to cross that bridge when I come to it. So, for now, I have time on my hands to write silly little blog entries like this and wonder if I have the gaul to include photos of the amazing art my students are producing. (I'd love to, but no...)


I hope everyone else who is working has a job that is as much fun!