15 June 2014

Birthday Blues

My first act, in my sixth decade, is to get up at 3 am and pee off the back of a 65’ sail boat into the turquoise waters of the South Pacific. A gentle breeze has the rigging tapping out a light percussion rhythm and the palm trees, on land, sway to the music. My muscles are sore from a long hike yesterday up to the top of the mountain from which there was a 360 view over this island, the many black pearl farms dotting the green/beige/azure/blue shallows, the other rocky islets, and the outer barrier reef surrounding it all. The warm darkness with its familiar salt-water tang enfolds me comfortably and I am totally certain that I am exactly where I want to be.

Unfortunately I have only half of the equation right as I am not necessarily with whom I want to be with. I will be spending this momentous day far from friends and family, with a couple of random people, my captain and co-crew, and the disconnectedness of this social situation haunts me.

Later, when Lisa gets up, she greets me with a huge hug and wishes me a happy birthday, which, I have to admit, puts a smile on my face and cheers me far more that I would have believed, making me feel once again like a beloved sister-wife. And, over breakfast, Sven talks intelligently about why ‘corner birthdays’ feel more important than they actually are which leads to a good discussion about how one’s priorities change over time.

As it is Sunday and we are anchored next to the town of Rikitea, on the Island of Mangareva, in the Gambier Islands, where the largest cathedral in all of French Polynesia is - designed and built centuries ago by an over-zealous French priest at the cost of many human lives - Lisa and I decide to go to church. It seems the whole town is there, the women decked out in their Sunday best with high heeled shoes and garlands of fresh flowers in their hair, and we are embarrassingly underdressed in our usual slightly grubby t-shirts and shorts and bearing backpacks, but we are welcomed with open arms, well kisses on both cheeks actually, by all and sundry.

One of our goals of the day is to get some fresh provisions to see us through the next few weeks as we travel through the stunningly beautiful but barely inhabited atolls of Tuamotu Archipelago so after church we walk the main road to the public gardens. We collect nine pumpkins which we lug back to the dock and stow in our dingy and then return to gather grapefruits and lemons. (Lemon trees have many sharp thorns by the way. Who knew?)

I had brought my laptop into town with me hoping to have received, and to be able to reply to, a few birthday e-mails, but the owner of the pub with public internet access died and the pub is closed until further notice. I cannot be crushed; this is the way of the islands. But, nonetheless, without hope of internet today, and, possibly even for whole month if we sail soon, I feel more alone than ever. We return to the boat where I spend the afternoon working on repairing old lines. It is a somewhat menial yet satisfying task and one that I am good at. If the pub, also the only place in town to eat out, were open, we may well have had a meal there it being my birthday and all, but instead we follow our regular schedule. Today Lisa is on lunch and I on supper. I choose to make new-pumpkin soup and we eat it in relative silence and I am reminded of Christmas, a year and a half ago, on another boat, again far from friends and family, and now, as then, I find myself more melancholy than I care to admit. I will be happy when the day has passed and we are on to tomorrow.