27 June 2014

10 kg Bag



On the flight from Hao to Tahiti I am allowed a 10 kg bag. There is a whole brochure explaining why; fuel is expensive, runways are short, Tahitians tend to weigh a lot...  Any luggage over 10 kg is charged, a lot, per kg. I don’t know what my hockey bag of stuff weighs but I think it is probably at least a gazillion kg.

I decide that I am willing to pay for 10 maybe 15 kg of overweight luggage but not more.

Noeline allows me to use the conference room in the town hall to sort my stuff out and I spend several hours doing so. I go through everything very thoroughly. I decide to keep things which are expensive, light weight, and precious and toss everything cheap, heavy, and of no sentimental value.

Unfortunately I have several big things I cannot bear to leave behind; the hockey bag itself is my husband’s, and my foul weather gear, large and bulky as a snowsuit, partly borrowed from my mother, then there is my 1-person tent, of course, and my hiking boots, I have my laptop, my phone, two cameras, and my kindle, which is, though small, hefty, and, of course, all the cables to go with each of them… After that, though it is not easy, I am ruthless; I keep my toothbrush but not my toothpaste, I keep my mask and snorkel but not my flippers or wetsuit, I keep my two pairs of purple undies but toss both my black ones and my white ones, I throw out most of my clothes, and toiletries, and my towel, all but one of the rocks I have collected along the way, my sketch book and pencils, many ziplock bags, even the good ones, my new sleeping bag and packsack…

Noeline comes to check on me and is horrified both with how heavy my hockey bag still is and with the amount of stuff in my to-be-left-behind pile. I ask her to keep anything she might find useful and give the rest away. We look over what I have tossed. ‘I guess I should throw out my used underwear,’ I say, reaching for it, ‘Nobody would want that.’ ‘You might be surprized,’ she replies, laying her hand on mine, ‘what people on this island would be happy to have.’ So I pack it along with my other rejected clothes into my packsack and leave it with stuff she will have to deal with.

When I finally get to the airport and they weigh my bag – I am, oddly, the only one who has chosen to pack their stuff in a hockey bag – it is only 10 kg! What? Really? Unbelievable! Wait, I want to say, let me just run back to the town to get my wetsuit… But it’s too late for that.


And, I realize, though this may be TMI, I will be wearing purple undies every day!