03 September 2013

First Few Days II















September 3rd, I am woken by a racket on deck and when I peek my head out I see that the welder is being hoisted, by hand, winched up with brute force, to the top of the mast to fix a spinnaker fitting. In the library the carpenter is putting in new shelves. (Again I compare this boat to last year’s. HS would have done his own welding and his own carpentry and I, using my big toe on the electric anchor winch, would have hauled him up to the top.) Chores for the rest of us continue; Ida takes all the salon cushions home so she can make covers for them, Ole is doing something to the main engine powers switch, Aitor is back in the aft locker painting again, June and Pete, a couple of 20 something kids who have been helping out show up in the afternoon, Pete spends hours trying to figure out why the alternator isn’t working and June just grabs a bucket of soapy water and starts cleaning, I re-sand and re-varnish the cockpit floor boards and flag pole, coil endless ropes and store them in the fore locker. And, oh yes, all by myself, I am proud to announce, completely overhaul an $8000 winch; I start right after lunch, take it apart, clean the many gears tooth by tooth, clean the bearings ball by ball, clean the washers, the shafts, the other bits whose names I don’t know (using jet fuel to do all of this), get Olve to inspect it, then re-grease it and put it all back together, and, with a few breaks for beer when people drop by, finish at 8 p.m. just in time for pizza!

September 3rd today, and we leave on the 7th, apparently. Looking about the boat at the total chaos you’d never guess that we were going to leave this year even. We’re almost ready though: the AIS has been ordered, the wind generators have been ordered, the solar panels have been ordered – none of them have arrived yet, let alone had mountings made or been set up or had wiring laid or computer software connected or, been, as is sure to be needed at some point along the way, trouble shot, when problems occur during installation, but hey, who’s worrying? Not the captain that’s for sure. He spends the whole afternoon making a great photoshop picture of the boat to include in a farewell party invitation. He seems so young. I can imagine one of my kids doing just the same thing. ‘Shouldn’t we be panicking?’ I want to ask, but I manage to keep my mouth shut.

September 3rd, and tomorrow we will turn the boat around so we can clean and wax the other side of the outer hull, install the second half of the cove line… But what about all the stuff? The deck is still covered in things, as is every horizontal space within the boat, and, given that it is a boat, it all has to be put away before we go or as we are tossed about at sea it will fall, land on the floor, break. Part of the problem is that things don’t have a home yet. No one knows where anything belongs. In my cabin for example, there is, on the teeny tiny floor, a foot tall pile of poster sized charts, a large duffle bag of first aid equipment, a salad bowl full of dice and cards, a huge crate of alcohol, several pairs of large flippers, some old solar panels that we might keep, and boxes and boxes of new spare parts for the main engine that just recently arrived… The spare parts, presumably, will go somewhere in the tool shed (but where? Ole and I cleaned it all out a few days ago but it is already a total mess again) and the rest of the stuff has been thrown there because no one knows, at all, where else to possibly put it. And, hopefully, someone will go shopping for food before we leave because there is none on board and ordering out for pizza is unlikely to be a viable option at sea, and if/when shopping is done then where oh where will any food bought even go?

September 3rd, and we leave in 4 days! Really?

But it’s a beautiful day out. I put away my long underwear and get out my sunglasses. My mum asked if I was going to use time this year to try and resolve some issues. No, I answered, I tried that last year and nothing got resolved, this year I just plan to have fun. Now all I need to do is relax a bit so that I can manage that. I should have done this - bummed around the world on boats - in my 20’s, of course, but I was too busy having kids then and now is certainly better than never. Back home it is the first day of school. I could be there, unemployed, tied to my phone all fall waiting to be called in to supply. What a horrible thought. Seven of us sit around the main salon table after supper sipping wine and talking about all manner of things, Aitor is playing beautiful gentle background guitar music, and I am totally sure for the first time that this is exactly where I want to be right now.