02 September 2013

First few days I


After dropping both Alexander and Ben at the airport for their flights, going out for a fun evening  with Steph, and spending one last night in our now familiar hostel with its wonderful clean sheets and glorious hot showers, I repack my backpack and head out, walking, alone, to the boat, which is currently anchored in an industrial marina on the far side of town.

When I arrive two of the owners, Olve and Ole, are there, heads bent over a computer, trying to choose what brand of wind generator to buy and Aitor is down inside the aft locker painting it. The decks are now covered with all the rope and engine parts and unpainted wood that was previously on the dock and the boat looks a disaster. Down below stuff is piled high on every surface, the floor boards have been taken up so walking about is tricky, and my chosen bunk has 100s of paint cans stacked on it.

I am ready to work but the owners don’t really have an appropriate job for me at their fingertips and so they set me to cleaning out the tool room, taking everything out and putting it up on deck. (Really, on deck, is there even a square inch of empty space up there?) I start by reorganizing the stuff on deck to make room and then carry box after box of unsorted tools and spare engine seals and old hoses and oil cans and the like up and outside. When I am done I clean the shelves and drawers I have emptied and then Ole comes to help me sort and box the stuff, repack it more logically before putting it back into the tool room. This is not an easy job. There is a lot of humming and hawing, ‘Oooh, look at this, what could it possibly be?’. We try to make lists of what there is and where it has been put but many of the items are identified only as ‘filter –?’ since we can’t figure out if a given filter is for fuel or oil, if it is a replacement part for the main engine or the gen set, if it is new or used… Ole is not even sailing with us and he is the only one who will have any idea of what we might have or not have in the many drawers and cupboards. If we break down who will know how to fix anything, or even if we have the required spare parts on board or not, or where they might possibly be? I find myself thinking back to last year with HS who knew instantly and precisely, without any hesitation, in which tupperware container or tool box, in which drawer or under-floor compartment, each of the million spare parts that large boats always come with was stored.

This boat is rustic. Basic. Disorganized. Chaotic. Different than last year - that’s for sure. But I wanted different than last year, and, certainly, I have it.

Last year on Northern Magic, HS, who was older and had sailed her for years, not only knew the boat intimately but had well established autocratic, almost dictatorial, routines. This year on Southern Cross the owners, who are much younger, have only recently bought her and are still, obviously, fixing her up, have not sailed her before. I will be there for the beginning of their voyage. Routines are not established at all and, for example, when I ask how they are going to organize shifts and watches the answer is that they haven’t even started to think about it and will see what most crew want. I fear that the likely inefficiencies that will come with trying to figure things like this out through consensus will drive me nuts. Egad!  Last year I struggled accepting the long-standing almost tyrannical rules and routines; this year I expect to struggle with the lack of any!

Other things, however, are exactly the same. As we start to get ready to go the days fly by and there are lots of jobs that need doing and I, being willing to work hard but low on any really practical skills - like how to troubleshoot and then fix the very erratic generator or how to hook up the new satellite phone or how to figure out why there is no power getting to the overhead lights or why the only (cold water) shower just doesn’t work – am given what I think of as ‘chop wood carry water’ jobs. I spend my first mornings taking out the cockpit floorboards and sanding and varnishing them (they need to 12 coats to be applied one coat per day!) and my first afternoons helping Olve put on the cove line and washing and waxing the hull (hours and hours of hard manual labour). I learn to clean easy locks (a quick job involving WD40 and an air compressor and dry lube) and to overhaul blocks (each one takes 3 of us working together 3 hours to do, and there are, I count, 10 of them). If it rains for an hour or two we go inside and tackle one set of storage shelves after another removing stuff, cleaning the shelves, and putting things back. Days later Aitor is still wearing a gas mask painting the interior of the aft lockers (both lockers need 4 coats of paint each @ 12 hours/coat). It is not a fun job down in the cramped interior. I don’t envy him. I am enjoying the variety of jobs I am being given instead.

Also, since the Olve, one of the owners and the captain, is leaving for four years and won’t be back, lots of his friends drop round to say goodbye. Some stop by for an hour or two bringing with them cases of beer or bottles of champagne and, of course, we all stop to drink and celebrate and chat. Others come by for one or two days to help out and we work together during the days and then eat together at night. It is very social. I am starting, already, to feel like part of the community.

Despite visits we work 10 hours each day. I fall into my bunk exhausted, sleep well, and wake up aching.

I love it!

P.S. Below are Aitor (in his aft locker as usual) and Olve (working on a block). 
We are currently rafted up against a wall beside another boat and there is not a good place to take a photo of our boat, but soon, however, we will move to downtown Copenhagen and I hope to get one good shot of her to post before we set out to sea!