26 September 2012

good bye trees



I live in a small house in a small town with a small back yard. When they were first built sixty years ago all the houses on our street were identical and now, despite the various additions many have, they are still not special at all. Stretching out behind our lot and those of our neighbours, however, is a patch of undeveloped forest, perhaps 200 m in each direction, full of mature red and white pines. My bedroom faces the back, so this, which I call the ‘back woods’ as if we lived on a farm or something, is what I see each morning when I first wake up.



It is marvelous.

For many years when I was under-employed and my marriage was on the rocks and my best friend had moved 3000 miles away my kids were seemingly stuck permanently in the neediest stages of childhood, lying in bed for five minutes in the morning and looking out the window at the countless soaring red pine tree trunks, the lush feathery branches of the white pines, and the glimpses of sky beyond, was a quasi-spiritual experience that gave me the inner peace I needed to face the day. The red pines, having been reaching straight for the sky for at least a century, are impossibly tall and skinny, as majestic and awe inspiring as the pillars in any European cathedral, and the white pines, oh, I do not speak English well enough to describe appropriately their grandeur.

It is simply beautiful.

Today is no exception. The sun is out, shining brilliantly, giving the needle covered branches a peculiar yellow green colour and the tall trunks a camouflage of light and dark that almost obscures them. The small patches of sky that are visible behind are blue blue blue. It will be another perfect day here in paradise. In July it tends to be too hot during the afternoon but by this time of year there are many hints that fall is already on its way and it is beautiful outside 24/7. I listen to the incessant squawking of a flock of grackles that have descended nearby and the annoyed chattering response of a squirrel. In the distance a couple crows can be heard conversing back and forth.

I love it.

I remember the first time I walked into this room; seeing nothing but trees through the window gave the feeling of being separate, away, as if in an isolated cottage on a lake far from anywhere, and, to this day, the view creates an illusion that I am somewhere, somewhere else.

For years if I was unhappy I often lay here looking out at the trees and it was as if I were alone in the universe. I could forget for a few minutes that I was here, in this house, in this town, in this life. The trees, so sure of their purpose, apparently unperturbed by the town that had sprung up around them, emanated a patience and peacefulness that inspired in me a calmness and encouraged me to emulate their stoic nature. I could lie here and gaze with wonder at the beauty of nature sure in the knowledge that if I were a photographer I could take a hundred pictures from here, each different yet beautiful, and fill a whole coffee table book with them.

A gentle breeze starts to whisper and the fluttering of some poplar leaves catches my attention and brings me back to the present. Why am I going exactly? Why am I leaving behind these lovely trees of mine? In past the trees have always represented an escape of sorts, a secret and unspoken whisper of desire for separation from the here and now, but today they are just the opposite, they are the continuity of everything that is safe and secure and familiar about my life. Today if I listen hard enough I can hear, in the oh so very soft movements of the branches, a personal reassurance from them that they will still be here when I return.

I am not a photographer. I never have been. I bought a camera to take on my trip, the first one I have ever bought (is that possible, did I bring up three kids without ever having bought a camera? I guess I did. Weird.) but it is still in the box. (And it is not a ‘real’ camera, it is, as the salesman pointed out, red, which apparently says everything, effectively equates it to lipstick.) I don’t want to open it. I fear I will only be disappointed by the difference, the vast difference, between what I can see with my eyes - and my heart - and what I can get the camera to capture. How could I possibly take a picture that shows that the trees and I converse with each other, even if my camera were black? (I like the fact that my camera is just a toy, it gives me an excuse, already, for not succeeding in taking the photos I would want to. I plan to practise with it for now and buy myself a proper one, for my next significant birthday, make a more serious effort then. I believe in baby steps.) I consider going to get my camera and trying to take a photo with it but instead snap a shot with my phone. I make a note to self – find a photo course to take when you get home.

The purpose of this trip is not to look outwards and produce a fantastic photo essay, it is much more to look inwards and find a more permanent peace, to become, if you will, more like my trees themselves. If, however, I am successful on this trip, then, maybe, on the next one, I will set out with that very different goal. But I am getting ahead of myself.

Bye trees. I will miss you.