12 March 2017

Infinity II

AKA A simple life

The boat I'm on, for reasons that aren't exactly clear to me, is currently vegan. It hasn't always been vegan. I think it's vegan now partly because it's cheaper, partly because in some parts of the world it's hard to source meat, partly because being vegan is better for the environment, and partly to protest cruelty against animals. Regardless, we don't eat meat, obviously, or eggs, there is no cheese or yoghurt or butter... Breakfast is often hot oatmeal with dates or pancakes made with bananas, lunch is fresh bread with peanut butter, fresh fruit and veg, pineapple and coconut and carrot sticks for example, and any leftovers, and supper is usually rice and beans, the beans cooked up with garlic, onions, and whatever vegetables we have and made into chilli or curry or something else delicious, but supper can also be spaghetti or vegetable stir fry or even (gasp) fried fish as fresh caught fish is the one exception to the veganism rules. I've never considered living a vegetarian lifestyle let alone a vegan one but so far the food on board has been fantastic.

Another difference here - that I haven't yet adapted to - is that the boat works solely on a bidet system or, in other words, NO toilet paper. Ever. I always travel with a half roll of toilet paper in my daypack because, well, you never know, and I'm willing to admit, albeit a bit reluctantly, that I went into town and bought myself 4 whole rolls because I'm just happier using toilet paper ALL the time. I'm sure I'll eventually forget to take my few sheets with me as I head to the head and as there isn't any there I'll have to deal with it... but for now I'm still stuck in my first world ways.

Life on the boat is simple. I love it.

(To be continued.)