10 December 2015

Cruise 3 - The Caribbean

Irina Andreas and I

I am fantastically lucky. I meet a German couple, Irina and Andreas, who, in typical German style, have made excellent plans for every port stop, and, then, somehow, I manage to get invited to join them everyday in the Caribbean. We both carry our own masks and snorkels, are happy pilfering buns and plums from the breakfast buffet to eat later for lunch at some deserted lookout, actively prefer renting a car or gadding about on local busses over booking the offered cruise line excursions, and agree that a day can be definitely be declared a success if it involves taking one facebook-postable photo. In short we are great travelling companions.

Part 1 St Maartin/St Martin

One view from land out to sea...

... a few locals spotted on or near the beach....





... and one pic from the show after dinner.



Part 2 Antigua.


Antigua is tiny. And poor. We go first south to the historic dockyards and then north to a recommended snorkelling beach (where the water is a bit murky due to waves but the air full of butterflies). Afterwards we visit the cathedral and botanical gardens (both run down). We are getting about by local bus here, the only white people to do so, and loving how it gives us a wee snapshots of the culture; the girls in crisp clean school uniforms with extremely elaborately braided hair, the driver who stops the bus at his home and gets off to yell at his wife for running up too large a cell phone bill...  We are happy to have had a day exploring but don't have any desire to return later for a full week and agree that we'd not feel safe walking about after dark. 


Part 3 Martinique

Lush tropical paradise

Irina

Botanical garden beauties

I still like ferns - these ones grew about 20 m tall!


Fresh fish...

Northern tip of Martinique where I was tempted to take my requisite vacation nude selfe!



Part 4 Guadeloupe


After a last visit with Andreas and Irina I check into the only hostel in Guadeloupe for a final three days. I had reservations about this hostel as it's located precisely in the middle of nowhere twenty minutes from the capital and not on the coast ... but I immediately connect with two young men, each of them also travelling on their own, and we spend the days snorkelling at small islets off the main island or hiking along the coast and then searching for good fish restaurants.


It is heavenly.


One treasure Matt and Oliver and I came across during a hike along the coast.

Did I mention that it is heavenly?

I cannot believe it's my last stop and I'll be heading home next. 


I didn't even come close to accomplishing any of my stated goals this fall - to crew in the Med, to visit Croatia, to tour Morocco - but I did other wonderful things instead. Hiking in Romania was one highlight, being sidetracked by the history of Turkey another, seeing Greek Isles a third... working with the refugees on Lesvos was interesting and my cruise back just plain fun... And, as always, the people I met along the way added texture and richness to my travels.

I can't wait until I get to go off again!