02 January 2013

To go or not to go?



HS has been getting on my nerves. He is pretty full of himself, is unnecessarily sharp and rude if someone (like me) doesn’t follow orders fast enough, and, certainly, always, assumes that any possible wishes his crew might have are well beneath his consideration. Despite having been with the boat for several months, for example, I do not ever get even a whisper of input with respect to where we stop or how long we stay there. And, should I dare be audacious enough to make a suggestion with respect to how the sails are set, for example, I am treated with both caustic disdain and unmentionable language.

During the beginning of our last passage, just before the auto-pilot broke, I when I was having a bad day, PMS or somesuch, I wrote the following:

Sailing SLOWLY from Recife south…

We are plodding along at just under 4 knots with the sails set terribly. I know Nick would have us going at least 5.5 maybe 6. HS just doesn’t care, at all, if his sails are set poorly, if our speed suffers. I don’t get it. It drives me nuts though.

I was thinking that I had nothing positive to write in his ‘guest book’  (like Suzanne’s cottage book) but what I would put, if he insisted I write something. I came up with the following:

“Herbert, you are arrogant, abrasive, boorish, condescending, inconsiderate, and, oh yes, don’t let me forget, petty. Both your lack of sailing skills, given your experience, and your contemptible hubris ought to embarrass you. You said the first day we met, in Ottawa, that you don’t like to sail. I didn’t believe you at the time. I believe you now. My suggestion to you is this: find something you do like to do, not only for your sake but also for those around you.”

Ohhh. Ouch. So, the real question is this: Emily, why are you still on the boat? You could have left in Gibraltar, in the Canaries, in Cape Verde, at Fernando de Nohoria, in Recife… Why did you stay? Why do you let yourself be spoken down to, debased and demeaned? Why do you give power to this ass by putting up with his uncalled for rudeness? Why, when you are so sure you would not accept this from your husband, or your boss, do you accept it from him? What is holding you in this almost abusive relationship? Not the sailing, obviously, since it sets your teeth on edge. Not the camaraderie of visiting land since whenever you get somewhere you are there on your own. So why? Just because you started? What do you have to prove by staying? It is truly a mystery that bears looking into.

I have to stress that this was written on a bad day.

Because, even if HS doesn’t like the sailing, I do. I love being at sea, being on sunrise shift and seeing the sky turn all manner of pastel colours before that big old sun peeks over the horizon, I love being always aware of the phase of the moon and the rotation of the stars at night, knowing when Orion will rise and where he will be at 3 am and when he will set, I love watching the phosphorescence and the shooting stars and the dolphins, and having the wind, of all things, push us right across oceans, and waiting for the next island to appear…

And, even though HS has no interest in visiting anywhere new, I do. I love arriving at a new port or anchorage or marina, reading the guide book, going to the nearest tourist information station, choosing to wander the beaches, or the town, or visit the museums or parks or fish markets, or take the local bus to the next village over, I love stopping to chat with other yatchies or other tourists or any of the locals, I love the surprizes and the discoveries...

I soak up - like a turtle basking in the sun - the solitude of being at sea, away from phones and internet and everyone I know, but instead connected to, embraced by, Mother Nature herself. Despite being very atheistic there is, for me, a huge spiritual component to being at sea, sometimes the sky is so painfully beautiful it is as if it were a huge canvas that God had chosen to paint for my pleasure alone.

I thrive on the adventure of making landfall somewhere anywhere new, reading about its history on Wikipedia (sorry folks but it’s true), and then venturing out to see what is actually there. Each new spot is a like different chocolate from an expensive box-full of delights; some are better than others, some unexpectedly sweet or bitter, but each one, always, exotic and fun.

I was getting to the point, however, that I felt I had had the Northern Magic experience, so to speak. When Sophie and Adelheid left in Recife, to hitchhike south, they asked me several times to join them. I don’t know if they meant it or not, as opposed to merely being polite, and, in retrospect, I don’t know why I didn’t consider the possibility seriously. However, I didn’t.

So. This morning I wrote:

I’m considering leaving the boat. Like today. But I don’t really have a plan. Would I find a hotel here? Bus to Rio and try to get an earlier flight home? Go to the other marina and look for another position as crew? And then what? I wish I could say I was looking forward to going home but even that is not particularly true - the boys Literacy class. Oh Joy. And only part-time work so not even a lot of money. And living on  my own with no kids and no husband and the days stretching endlessly before me. Hmmm. At least here I have HS and his contempt. I understand, just a little bit, why people stay in abusive relationships. The thought of leaving the known for the unknown is a tad scary. Quite a big bit of me wishes that I had left with the girls; it would have been fun and interesting and I would have seen a lot of the country, met people, had experiences. Here, now, I have stopped living every day to the fullest - yesterday I did nothing. 

It is, I am pretty sure, time to take a leap!

So I spent the morning investigating options; found a lovely Hostel in the safe part of town, learnt about buses to Rio, looked into re-booking my flight home early. I arrived back at the boat at noon ready to discuss with HS the possibility of my leaving. (I assume since he is driving me nuts it must be mutual.) (But, then, there is the broken auto-pilot to consider.)  I had decided that, unless he actively wanted me to stay, I would leave.

He was in a foul temper, something to do with paperwork required by the military police, and antsy for us to do a shopping run together. (He loves eating, and grocery shopping is an activity that calms him down.) I said that there was something I wanted to talk about first and went on to explain that I felt I had had the experience I had hoped for with him and so was considering leaving, but, given the auto-pilot situation I wasn’t sure if he would be happy for me to leave at this point or not…

He very, VERY, emphatically stated that he would extremely disappointed if I chose to leave right now, that the auto-pilot company in Australia had responded to his enquiry stating that they no longer manufactured, nor carried spare parts for, the auto-pilot on his boat, that he was going to try and fix one of the backup auto-pilot systems, but that he didn’t know what the chances of success were, and that he would VERY much appreciate it if I stayed with him as far as Rio, because, though he had said many times he can sail this boat by himself, that statement had always assumed a working auto-pilot, and that finding and training new crew, right here, right now, would be a nightmare. It was a clear answer. A very clear answer.

So I agreed to stay with him as far as Rio given the proviso that we try to make it there by the 20th in order that I would have the option of trying to book an earlier flight home. He, willingly, agreed to this. (Now who knows, it may be that a series of ugly storms comes out of nowhere, like the ones that stopped us from leaving Gibraltar on time, and that we are stuck huddled waiting somewhere in some obscure bay for ages, or that something even more serious goes wrong with the boat, that we don’t make it to Rio by the 20th or even the 30th, that I have to leave him on his boat by himself and bus to Rio anyway… but, barring disaster, it is looking good.)

So, for now I stay. (And will be interested to see if his attitude mellows.)

Tomorrow morning we leave Salvador. We will do a short 10 mile hop to a nearby island to test out the new jury-rigged auto pilot system and anchor there overnight. Assuming all goes well we will, the next day, once again, head south. Rio, here we come!